If You Are Too Busy to Meditate, Meditate
“If you are too busy to meditate, meditate.” This old saying rings true for me every time that I hear it.
More than ever, I am hearing from colleagues, friends and clients that they are too busy to slow down. They are too busy to do yoga. They are too busy to relax. They are too busy to meditate.
At times, we become so overwhelmed that we think that if we just move faster and more fiercely, we’ll eventually come out on top, or get to a place where we are at least be able to catch a breath. But, where does this line of thinking lead us? Eventually…to burnt out.
A recent article in the Harvard Business Review notes that, “Our ability to resist an impulse determines our success in learning a new behavior or changing an old habit. It’s probably the single most important skill for our growth and development. As it turns out, that’s one of the things meditation teaches us. It’s also one of the hardest things to learn.”
Is it possible, or even probable, that persistent busyness is a sign that we need to slow down? It’s important to remember that time is just an illusion. If you aren’t sure what I mean by that, consider the widely accepted notion that time flies when you’re having fun. At its core, meditation is the practice of mastering time by learning personal restraint of our thoughts and actions. Yes, meditation will help you have better control over your time!
Also consider that according to Chinese Astrologists, we are currently in the year of the Fire Rooster. Fire Rooster energy moves rapidly and intensely, and at some level, we must keep up with this energy to thrive in 2017. Our task at hand becomes working hard while remaining in flow, staying mindful, and balancing the intensity with calmness.
I challenge you to take a moment today and pause. Does anything that you just read in this article ring true? Can you disagree that time feels like it is moving quickly? And now, close your eyes and take a deep breath in. Reflect on the following tools below and commit to trying one:
- What could you do today to make yourself happier, and more at peace? And go do it.
- Consciously get up from your desk and make yourself a cup of tea. Don’t have someone else make it for you, make it yourself.
- Give yourself space and schedule nothing. This may be difficult for today, but try it for tomorrow. Set the intention for more breathing room.
- Join the cloud appreciation club, and get up from your desk, and take a stroll around the block without your mobile, and look up at the sky instead.
- Carve out 11 minutes before bedtime tonight to meditate. This will prepare your mind and body for sleep, and trust me, 6 hours and 49 minutes of deep sleep is better than 7 hours of tossing, turning and worrying sleep.
We all fall into these cycles of busyness, but remind yourself that we are all here to overcome these challenges of life together. Charge on my dear friends, but go with grace and peace of mind! The universe will give you opportunities to master and rise above the illusion of time if you just start. You can start small, but at least start today. Life may be crazy, but it remains within your control!
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.